Sunday, August 2, 2009

Welp, I've pulled out my Christmas music for the year

I just love the spirit it brings. There is plenty of drama around here, just like every place else these days, and I am doing all I can to stay centered.

Andy is having major back problems, I was laid off and am now interviewing again, and Andy's job ends sometime soon so we have tons of job and financial stress.

Not that I expect our trials are more overwhelming than anyone else's but it's plenty for us. I've heard lots and lots of sad stories, seems like every house has one. I am very, very happy to see what this depression is doing for our community and country though. It seems like people are getting more centered around what is important (I know we are!) and I think less excess is good for a person, although we don't really give that up voluntarily.

The big thing that has been bothering me is this: there seems to be a movement towards focusing ones life around being happy. Not that a person should not be happy, but please let me be clear:

LIFE IS NOT ABOUT BEING HAPPY.

Life is doing what you should, what you can, to help, to do the right thing, to be content with ones lot in life, to make friends and be content in your place. We should be happy with where we are. Not that you can't strive to improve or have ambition for a better life, you can and should! But this grand scheme of orgaizing an entire life around what makes one selfishly happy is just wrong. Life is about doing the right thing.

Not doing all you can to care for your kids because it's hard for you?! Not standing up for truth because it is scary and you don't want to? Not doing the right thing because it requires too much effort?

What about long term happiness people? Let's get on that train! Less whining, more eternal salvation!

As for me, and getting along in my world, I'll still take you in and care for you if you feel differently than me because that is the right thing to do, but for me to really respect you, please know that some emotional fortitude is required. Eyes on the prize!

2 comments:

  1. Is it time to think about Christmas already?
    I agree with your post. Like are you "eat, drink and be merry" type happy, or are you "men are that they might have joy" happy. One is whatever makes you feel good, or entertains you- worldly happiness. The kind that doesn't last.
    The other is the peace and happiness that comes from living a good life and helping others along the way. And trying (which is hard) to find joy in the hard times/mundane times/etc. It is all a learning experience.
    But I agree that yes, the world is all focused on SELF. Whatever makes ME happy. Who cares what the effects are on others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy-I love and miss you so much. I love your eternal perspective and how you ALWAYS look outside of yourself and your problems to see the bigger picture. Things have not been going AT ALL...let me repeat AT ALL how I planned or how I wanted things to turn out and it's been really difficult for me to accept that fact. I am so glad that you took the time to write this. It really made me remember that it's not always about us and not always about being happy. That is really hard for me because I focus so much on ME! I love you and think about you often...I miss serving with you...I hope you get back here!!

    ReplyDelete